New York, Las Vegas and Florida remain favourites
ABTA has released new insights following feedback from over 2,000 consumers which suggest that the USA is the most sought-after destination for holidaymakers looking to create unique memories from their travels in the year ahead.
Further research from ABTA shows that 63 per cent of people are hoping to book a holiday abroad and ABTA has issued new advice to help people plan and book their trips with confidence.
Those making plans to visit the USA cited the awe-inspiring cityscapes of New York, the bright lights of Las Vegas and the beaches and theme parks of Florida as just some of the memorable experiences they were hoping to share with their travel companions.
The classic European hotspots of Spain, Italy, Greece and France were also high on people’s wish lists, with travellers keen to experience the cultural, architectural and gastronomical delights of a city break to Barcelona, Paris or Rome as much as the chance to relax and unwind with a sunshine getaway in the Canaries, the Balearics, Santorini or Crete. Popular spots for those looking to head further afield were the palm-fringed, white-sand beaches of the Caribbean as well as an unforgettable luxury break to a private island in The Maldives.
Current booking trends from ABTA Members also point to holidaymakers either choosing to return to familiar destinations in Europe that they know and love or opting for a more adventurous, bucket list trip – particularly for departures in 2022.
ABTA says that not only are holidays a chance to relax, spend quality time with loved ones and are important for our wellbeing, they are also very intertwined with making memories of a lifetime – that can be anything from seeing spectacular sights or doing activities you’ve always dreamed of. Holidays can also be a time for a number of ‘firsts’ – whether the first time you take your child to the beach, the first time you try a particular dish or cuisine, or the first time you meet a friend or partner.
Graeme Buck, director of communications at ABTA said: “Holidays allow us to create special memories with our loved ones that will last a lifetime. As we’ve been unable to travel for so long, many people will be excited about the possibility of heading off on a long-awaited holiday this year and being able to make those treasured memories once again.
“To offer support and guidance for those who are eager to get away, ABTA has put together ten top tips covering everything holidaymakers need to know to book with confidence this year – and have something to look forward to for when travel reopens.
“We’d encourage anyone who is thinking of booking a holiday to speak to an ABTA Member. As well as helping their customers to understand what the latest advice means for their travel plans, our Members are experts at finding the best holiday to suit their customers’ preferences – and at a competitive price.”
ABTA’s ten top tips to take holidaymakers through everything they need to know to book with confidence this year are:
- Use the expertise of an ABTA Member to help plan your trip and navigate any restrictions.
- Book a package holiday for the greatest level of protection.
- Check the Foreign Office advice for your destination and sign up to email alerts.
- Book early for the best prices and to secure the accommodation and resort of your choice.
- Note that many companies offer flexible cancellation and booking policies.
- Take out travel insurance as soon as you book and check its cover for coronavirus.
- Make sure your passport is valid for your travel dates, apply for any visas you need and check the travel health advice for your destination at TravelHealthPro.org.uk.
- If you’re travelling to Europe, there may be extra steps you need to take ahead of your trip. Visit abta.com/Brexit
- As your departure date nears, check the latest travel advice Foreign Office advice pages and speak to your ABTA Member travel provider.
- With your holiday booked, you can sit back and look forward to heading off on your well-deserved break!