‘Insurance has an important role to play in giving people confidence to book now travel is restarting,’ says ABTA.
ABTA has announced the launch of a new travel insurance product, ABTA Travel Sure.
ABTA said it is anticipated that the insurance would appeal to people with existing bookings or rescheduled holiday bookings to countries exempted from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s current advice against all but essential travel, who require cover for Covid-19 medical expenses whilst on holiday.
ABTA Members will have a long-term opportunity to promote ABTA Travel Sure which, depending on their level of involvement, may require them to become either an Introducer Appointed Representative or Appointed Representative.
Underwritten by AXA, and reflecting consumer demand and ABTA’s expertise in the travel market, ABTA Travel Sure covers the key areas consumers want from a quality travel insurance product, including:
- From £5m up to £10m medical expenses per person depending on level of cover
- Over 120 sports and activities covered as standard
- Cover benefits as standard that other insurance providers may not offer, or charge an optimal extra premium for, including cruise cover, terrorism, missed connections, airline and supplier failures and gadget cover
- Free access to a travel companion app, which includes a medical translator, hospital locator, emergency numbers, medical assistance and lots more
- Free access to online Doctor via Dr Please app
- No reduction on the value of claims for lost/stolen items because of wear and tear
- 24/7 emergency helplines
- UK based call centres, for sales and customer services
- Straightforward, clear and easy to understand policy wording
ABTA Travel Sure offers three different levels of cover across both Single Trip and Annual Multi Trip options, with prices based on the individual needs of the policyholder. All cover levels are 5-star Defaqto rated, and there is no upper age limit for single trip cover.
Ian Hall, head of travel insurance at ABTA, said: “Insurance has an important role to play in giving people confidence to book now travel is restarting. We have known for some time that there is demand in the market for a travel insurance product that consumers can put their trust in and having initially put our plans to launch ABTA Travel Sure on hold because of the pandemic we are now in a position to assist the industry in its recovery.
“The consumer awareness and trust in the ABTA brand means we are well placed to provide this service and we’re confident that after this initial roll out ABTA Travel Sure will provide Members with a long term opportunity to benefit from selling this high-quality travel insurance product.”
ABTA’s insurance will be available for consumers to purchase from 15 July 2020, directly online via travelsure.abta.com or phone on 0330 128 0957.
For more information, visit abta.com/memberzone or contact your local ABTA representative
Saga, an ABTA member, had added Covid-19 cover to its own insurance product.