//Kuoni to bring back staff

Kuoni to bring back staff

Tour operator makes announcement after government reveals package

Kuoni parent company Der Touristik UK will retain its staff during the Coronavirus pandemic, including the 70 workers it made redundant on Friday, through the government’s furloughing scheme.

Derek Jones, chief executive, said “all valued staff who left the business last week would immediately be brought back into the business and then furloughed”.

In a letter to staff, he said: “We’ve set out a number of initiatives which we believe present the best course of action for the coming weeks and months.

“These measures are designed to retain the integrity of our team whilst running the business in a streamlined way. By taking these actions we can see ourselves through this crisis whilst maintaining the opportunity to rebound strongly when the Covid-19 crisis is behind us.

“The decision to let valued members of staff go last week was a very difficult one but at the time I believed we were left with little option. We immediately took the opportunity alongside Abta and a number of other businesses to lobby the government for additional support to avoid the need for job losses.

“The chancellor’s lifeline on Friday has meant we can now protect as many of our team as possible.There has not been much to cheer about recently but we can at least be happy that these staff have a little less to worry about for the next few months.”